I have a confession to make. I believe in magic. There. I've said it. I believe in magic. No, I’m not talking about witchcraft, spells, and potions; nor the conjuring incantations and hexes that fill our hearts and minds with fear. But, yes, I do believe in magic.
I believe in the magic of a pregnant possibility; you might call that hope. I believe in the magic of a dream dreamt just before dawn – you might call that a fairy tale. I believe in the magic of a playful tickle and the magic of a tender touch. I believe in the magic of a sensuous kiss and the magic of a meaningful glance. I believe in the magic that lives in the comforting relationships of our lives and explodes in the whimsy of our hearts and minds.
- I believe in the magic of friendship even when I can’t find it.
- I believe in the magic of love even when it hurts unimaginably.
- I believe in the magic of laughter even when I am crying.
- I believe in the magic of sunshine even when I’m standing in the rain.
- I believe in the magic of spring even while I’m gripped by the icy chill of winter.
- I believe in the magic of morning even when it seems the darkness of night will never fade.
There was a time that I would simply tell you that I’m just a kid at heart. And there was a time that the simplicity of that statement was true. But it’s not anymore. I’m all grown up – inside and out. Life will do that to you, you know? Heartache has a way of changing us. Loss has a way of maturing us. Sadness has a way of hardening us. Failure has a way of jading us.
The miles pass. The moments tick by. The experiences become less whimsical and all the more devastating. And for a moment - just for a moment - life pushes you to the edge of despair. And in that moment you have a decision to make. Do you give up or do you believe? And in the face of the gut-wrenching reality before you the only real thing to believe in is… You guessed it. Magic.
Hope. Dreams. Faith. Fairy tales. Whether it’s a wish list written with child-like longing to Santa or prayers whispered in child-like faith to God. I choose to believe.
Yes, I do believe that I believe in magic. Do you?